Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Vegan Mango Cake (Cupcakes)

So here goes. I'm starting with something basic, and delicious too of course. The recipe that I originally found was yum as it was, but I've adjusted it slightly for a different taste. Mangoes season is in full swing now, and all around its been mango chutney, mango sweet-rice, mango ice cream.

Here's my go at something mango....



Ingredients:
1 1/2 C Mango Puree* I used two large fresh mangoes instead of mango puree. I would assume you could try other summer fruits in here too but I haven't tried it with anything other than mangoes yet.
1 1/2 C White flour
2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/3 C Oil
1/2 C Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla essence

To make:
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.

2. Sift the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.

3. Mix the rest of the ingredients in another bowl, making sure there are no mango lumps left. I used a stick blender to make sure the mangoes were well and truly smushed up.

4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, and whisk until fully combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.

5. Pour into a well greased cake tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked. Alternatively, pour into muffin trays lined with cupcake papers and bake for 10-12 minutes or until fully cooked.

PS yes, this is a vegan cake!

Click here for original recipe.


















Nothing is complete without icing! I made plain buttercream icing, but feel free to add a little leftover mango puree for flavour. To keep these cupcakes vegan however, I suggest a light dusting of icing sugar, topped with a few slices of fresh mangoes.

Ingredients:
4 Tbsp softented butter (or vegan butter if you'd prefer to keep everything vegan)
1 C sifted icing sugar

To make:
Cream the butter and icing sugar with a rubber spatula until fully combined. You can use on the muffins any way you like - I piped them on but you can also just spread a generous amount over the muffins with the spatula.

1 comment: