Don't look any further for other pancake recipes. This is the mother of all pancake recipes. And I mean that in two ways. First, my mother gave me the recipe, and second.. well, you can do just about anything with this recipe to make it your own. It trumps all.
The secret is that its just a complete basic recipe. There are no frills, no complicated steps, nothing. Everyone has these basic ingredients in their pantry, and you have yourself a pancake. Anything extra is a bonus! Have fun playing with different flavours and styles in the batter - and mix it up with toppings as well.
Makes 10-13 medium pancakes
1 cup White flour
1 tsp Baking powder
3/4 C Sugar
1 C Milk
1/4 C Water
1 Tbsp Melted butter (optional)
1. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add baking powder and sugar.
2. Pour in the milk, water and melted butter, and whisk together until mixed well.
3. Heat up your fry-pan on medium heat and melt a small amount of butter - approx 1 tsp.
4. Using a ladle, pour approx 1/4 C of batter onto the pan.
5. When the pancake begins to get 'holes' or 'bubbles' on the top, flip it over using a spatula and cook until a golden brown colour. *Note - if it looks a little burnt before the holes appear, the flame is too high.
Serve hot with desired toppings.
* Topping can include maple syrup, golden syrup, cinnamon, icing sugar, honey, whipped cream or my favorites - lemon juice and sugar or fresh berries.
* To make a particular flavour pancake, add a small amount to the batter - ie 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp lemon zest or other such flavours.
* For a more rich pancake, use 1/4 C cream instead of water or even just 1 1/4 C Milk and omit the water completely.
* Fresh fruit pancakes are scrumptious too, try adding 1/4 C mashed bananas to the batter, or 1/4 C mango puree. If the batter gets too thick, you can just add more water, or if its too thin, you can add a little more flour.
* Omit the sugar and add 1 tsp salt. Voila - instant savoury pancakes. You can either have plain, or add grated potato in the batter. Serve with tomato chutney and fresh salad.