Friday, July 8, 2011

Vegan Carrot Cake (Cupcakes)

Gosh at this rate anyone would think I was a vegan and that I only like cupcakes. Despite what it may look like, this is not true. I DO love cupcakes don't get me wrong, but there's a time and place for a cake, and today was just not one of them.

This morning my mother went back to NZ for her annual visit, and while she is away, I get to take her portable oven to my place! Yaaay no more having to trek over to mums apartment with my cake batter or bread dough under my arm, I can do it in my own kitchen! Seriously you have no idea how happy I am. So it kinda goes without saying that I had to bake something in it, now that its sitting quite happily on my kitchen bench.

I went with carrot cupcakes, since there were 3 carrots sitting doing nothing in my fridge. They turned out beautifully, just the right amount of light and fluffy, and the oats giving them a bit of a chew. Lovely. Just lovely.


Makes 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:
3/4 C White Flour
1/2 C Oats
1 1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/2 C Honey
1/4 C Sugar
1/4 C Water
1/2 C Oil
1 1/2 C finely grated carrots (approx 2 large carrots)

To Make:
1. Combine the flour, oats, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.

2 In a separate bowl, combine the honey, sugar, water, oil, and carrots and mix thoroughly with a rubber spatula or whisk.

3. Empty the dry ingredients into the second bowl and stir until all ingredients are fully combined.

4. Pour into a well greased cake tin and bake at 175 degrees celcius for approx 45 minutes or until cooked. Alternatively pour into cupcake lined muffin trays and bake for 20-30 minutes or until cooked.

Click here for original recipe and cinnamon and oat topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment