Friday, July 1, 2011

Hot chai

It kinda goes without saying that living in India, there is chai all around me. Just a few steps out of the compound where I live, you will find a chai-wallah with rows of clay cups, just waiting for you to hand over your Rs3.

I searched online for some sort of recipe, and tried a few, but couldn't find anything I really liked. The recipe that I did find, I adjusted it so much that I couldn't really say I even followed it in the end! I decided to give it a go making my own, without actual tea... that way not only will I know exactly whats in it, but also I can adjust it to my liking. The basis of chai is cardamom... so don't even bother trying to make it without it. I've only just discovered the amazing number of uses for cardamom since being in India, and always keep a healthy supply on my spice tray.

Adjust this to YOUR liking. If you like your chai milky, put more milk and less water. If you like it sweet, put more vanilla or sugar. If you like more of a kick, add a little bit of fresh grated ginger, or more black pepper. Make it your own.


Makes 2 mugs (or clay pots) of chai

Ingredients:
1 1/4 C Milk
1 1/4 C Water
6x Crushed cardamom pods
4x Crushed black pepper corn (avoid using pepper powder)
1 tsp cinnamon or 5cm stick of cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla essence or 1x Vanilla bean
2 tsp sugar

To Make:
1. Bring the water and milk to boil on a medium heat.

2. Add all spices and let it simmer for approx 10-15 minutes to let the flavours absorb.

3. Pour through a sieve into mugs and serve with a sprinkling of cinnamon or nutmeg.


Click here for original recipe.


















Other flavours you could add or subtract:

1/4 tsp Grated ginger
1/2 tsp Nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp Fennel
1/2 tsp Anise seeds
4x Crushed cloves

No comments:

Post a Comment