Monday, July 4, 2011

Vegan Chocolate Cake (Cupcakes)

I emailed my godmother about a year ago, asking her for some chocolate cake recipes, knowing full well she'd have a whole recipe box full of them. She is after all, a professional cook. She caters for events, has a column in the local paper and also supplies different schools canteens. I knew I couldn't go wrong by asking her.

She sent me two recipes, but this one I like the best, its the easiest one-bowl wonder, and its vegan! Which means when I have my vegan friends over, I don't have to worry. I've tried different variations too, adding cinnamon, a little strawberry essence etc.

It was Jala's birthday in the weekend, and I'm sick of mango cupcakes, so used this recipe to make cupcakes instead of a cake for her. Topped with chunks of almond chocolate slabs... what could be yummier!?


Makes about 12-15 cupcakes

Ingredients:
2 1/2 C White Flour
1/2 C Cocoa powder
2 tsp Baking powder
2 C Sugar
2 C Water
1/3 C Oil
2 Tbsp Vinegar or lemon juice
1 tsp Vanilla essence

To Make:
1. Sift flour in a bowl and add other dry ingredients.

2. Add wet ingredients and beat together with a whisk or rubber spatula.
DO NOT OVER-MIX.

3. Pour into a well greased cake tin and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Alternatively pour into cup-cake lined muffin trays and bake for 12-18 minutes or until cooked.

4. Make buttercream icing (with added strawberry essence or a little cocoa powder for flavour) and pipe over the cupcakes. For an extra touch, top with slabs of chocolate.

Recipe from my Godmother

1 comment:

  1. mmmm they look ahmaaazing so you cooking my wedding feast huh?hey now you know why i put on weight in india!!all i did was cook mmmmmm mmmm

    ReplyDelete